Tour Guide | CDL Driver
A CDL Driver’s main responsibility is to carry out the company’s mission of providing passengers with a safe, enjoyable, and educational experience. A CDL Driver can be based out of Haines, AK or Skagway, AK.
A CDL Driver will drive guests in buses on a series of trips which travel around to local attractions, visit outdoor recreation sites, stop at museums and take scenic drives as far as the summit of Chilkat Pass. All
our tours are staffed with a ‘Schpeeler’ guide who escorts the guests through the entire tour, narrates during the drives, and is responsible for overall guest experience. A CDL driver is expected to help with
some of the logistical aspects of the tour such as taking and counting tickets, helping to set up and take down the lunches, escorting guests to the restrooms, etc.
FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY ADMINISTRATION COMPLIANCE:
Alaska Mountain Guides Adventures, Inc. (AMGA) and its sister companies comply with all applicable federal laws regarding CDL drivers and CDL operations. FMCSA regulations and AMGA’s own policies and
procedures ensure that our guests will receive the highest quality tours possible in terms of bus transportation safety. As a result of federal regulations, each Haines CDL Driver will be required to
participate in an approved random drug testing program and be required to complete and maintain some paperwork in addition to the regular employee paperwork for all other employees.
Essential Job Functions for CDL Driver
• Have and maintain a clean driving record to be insured by AMGA insurance.
• Maintain an FMCSA approved logbook for driving hours.
• Responsible for following a strict daily schedule.
• Complete vehicle checklists as needed.
• Responsible for cleanliness and excellent maintenance of buses, tour equipment, and the locations that the tours visit.
• Responsible for communicating all gear and vehicle issues to maintenance staff.
• Complete appropriate driver checklists and paperwork at the end of each shift.
• Must be a safe driver and obey all traffic laws.
• Work closely with, assist, and take directions from the trip ‘Schpeeler’, who is responsible for overall guest experience throughout the tour.
• Assist the ‘Schpeeler’ in greeting clients, facilitating introductions, and getting clients enthusiastic.
• Assist the ‘Schpeeler’ in ensuring sure all guests have signed waivers and collected tickets.
• Responsible for communicating all incidents to Haines Program Manager.
• Must possess a positive attitude that is friendly, considerate and energetic.
• Must possess the desire to continually improve his/her knowledge and skills.
• Must be willing to work as a great team member.
• Help the guides load and unload guests and gear throughout the trips.
• Be willing to escort guests around the various venues, to the restrooms, etc.
• Help set up and take tour equipment and lunch supplies as needed.
• Be able to maintain a tight schedule to ensure groups stay on schedule throughout all aspects of the tour.
• Good leadership skills, ability to communicate with and facilitate activities for groups up to 50 people.
• Follow AMGA policies and procedures at all times.
• Assist with other jobs/projects as needed by AMGA administration, this may include but is not limited to:
Assisting with food prep for cruise program.
Associated program maintenance needs.
Non-CDL driving of passengers or equipment.
Assist with grounds/lodging maintenance, cleaning, and general support.
SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Have and maintain a Class B CDL with Passenger and Airbrakes endorsement. Some Skagway CDL positions may only require a Class C CDL.
• Pass FMCSA required pre-employment drug tests & screening.
• Be enrolled in an FMCSA required random drug testing program.
• Have and maintain a valid Medical Examiner’s Card.
• Must possess a valid passport and be able to enter Canada.
• Completion of AMGA Haines Driver training program (minimum of 8 hours).
• Must be willing to become certified or possess current certification in at least CPR and First Aid.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds repeatedly throughout each day.
• Must be able to carry loads over uneven ground.
• Prior guiding, leadership, and tourism experience helpful.