CDL REQUIRED: Applicants must have a valid commercial driver's license (CDL), from the state in which they live, a safe driving record, and at least two years of unsupervised experience driving passenger cars or larger vehicles and one year of full time unsupervised experience (or equivalent) driving a 7-ton or larger truck, tractor-trailer, or a 16-passenger or larger bus. The driving must have taken place in the U.S. or it's possessions or territories or in U.S. military installations worldwide. Further, applicants must inform the Postal Service of all previous employment as the driver of a commercial vehicle for the past 10 years and complete a Driving Notification and Compliance Certificate. Applicants must be drug-free, which requires a pre-employment drug screen and information from previous employers on the positive alcohol or drug tests and refusals to be tested within the prior tow years.
BENEFIT INFORMATION: This is a career position which offers excellent benefits. Newly hired employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement system (FERS). Upon hire, employees are eligible to contribute into the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is similar to 401(k) plans. We also offer the option to enroll into the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program as well as the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI). Dental, Vision and Long-Term Care Insurance Programs as well as Flexible Spending Accounts to cover eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent care (day care) expenses are also available, as well as accrued vacation and sick leave.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operates a tractor-trailer in conformity with time schedules and in accordance with instructions regarding the route assigned; or operates a tractor-trailer in unscheduled service directed move by move by telephone, two-way radio or through designated supervisors.
2. Picks up and delivers bulk quantities of mail at postal installations, mailing concerns, railroad mail facilities and airports.
3. Ascertains the condition of the tractor-trailer prior to leaving and in returning to garage; reports all accidents, mechanical defects noted, and mechanical failures in the course of the trip.
4. Makes decisions respecting changes in route in emergency; makes emergency decisions respecting loading mail or leaving it for later trip.
5. In addition, may prepare daily trip reports; make minor repairs or adjustments to vehicle in emergencies; load and unload mail; perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
APPLY ONLINE: http://about.usps.com/careers/welcom.htm
Functional Area: Transportation/Logistics
|Driver Types||Company Driver|
|Pay Info||$22.26 per hr|
|Carrier||United States Postal Service|
|Address||475 L'Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, DC, 20260|