PTF Tractor Trailer Operator Des Moines IA
United States Postal Service
FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Occupation Code: 5703-0004
Non-Scheduled Days: VARIES
Title: TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR
CDL REQUIRED: Applicants must have a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL), from the state in which they live, a safe driving record, and at least two years of unsupervised experience driving passenger cars or larger vehicles and one year of full time unsupervised experience (or equivalent) driving a 7-ton or larger truck, tractor-trailer, or a 16-passenger or larger bus. The driving must have taken place in the U.S. or its possessions or territories or in U.S. military installations worldwide.
Further, applicants must inform the Postal Service of all previous employment as the driver of a commercial vehicle for the past 10 years and complete a Driving Notification and Compliance Certificate. Applicants must be drug-free, which requires:
- A pre-employment drug screen and
- Information from previous employers on the positive alcohol or drug tests and refusals to be tested within the prior two years
SALARY RANGE: $22.26 - $29.77 per hour paid bi-weekly
FINANCE NUMBER: 182413 or 182414
BENEFIT INFORMATION: This is a career position which offers excellent benefits. Newly hired employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). Upon hire, employees are eligible to contribute into the Thrift Savings Plan (TSP) which is similar to 401(k) plans. We also offer the option to enroll into the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) program as well as the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI). Dental, Vision and Long-Term Care Insurance Programs as well as Flexible Spending Accounts to cover eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent care (day care) expenses are also available, as well as accrued vacation and sick leave.
Persons Eligible to Apply
All U.S. Citizens, permanent resident aliens, citizens of American Samoa or any other territory owing allegiance to the United States. Applicants must be available for screening activities, including an interview. Applicants entitled to veterans preference and/or covered by the Veterans Employment Opportunity Act may apply for any posted position.
Click below to apply. Applicants must apply online to be considered for this employment opportunity. You must have a valid email address to apply as communication regarding employment opportunities, examinations, interviews and background checks will be conveyed by email. Please add the following email domain addresses to your contact list to allow all correspondences to be received: @usps.gov @psionline.com @geninfo.com @uspis.gov @escreen.com
EXAM REQUIRED: If you are invited to take this test, instructions regarding the exam process will be sent to you via email. Please ensure you can receive email messages from our test vendor and follow instructions carefully so you can be considered for this employment opportunity.
NOTICE SCREENINGS REQUESTED: You may receive multiple requests for background checks in regards to this employment opportunity. Respond to all requests quickly as we anticipate filling our vacancies quickly and non-responses may result in disqualification for this opportunity.
Current non-career Postal Service employees who wish to apply for this vacancy must go to usps.com/employment and use your existing eCareer Profile to apply. Do not log into LiteBlue; if you logged into LiteBlue, log out and close your browser before going to usps.com/employment.
Functional Purpose: Regularly operates a heavy duty tractor-trailer either in over-the-road service, city shuttle service, or trailer spotting operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operates a tractor-trailer in conformity with time schedules and in accordance with instructions regarding the route assigned; or operates a tractor-trailer in unscheduled service directed move by move by telephone, two-way radio or through designated supervisors.
2. Picks up and delivers bulk quantities of mail at postal installations, mailing concerns, railroad mail facilities and airports.
3. Ascertains the condition of the tractor-trailer prior to leaving and in returning to garage; reports all accidents , mechanical defects noted, and mechanical failures in the course of the trip.
4. Makes decisions respecting changes in route in emergency; makes emergency decisions respecting loading mail or leaving it for later trip.
5. In addition, may prepare daily trip reports; make minor repairs or adjustments to vehicle in emergencies; load and unload mail; perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
Supervisor, Transportation Operations, or other designated supervisor.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.