Duties and Responsibilities
1. Operates a tractor-trailer in conformity with time schedules and in accordance with instructions regarding the route assigned; or operates a tractor-
trailer in unscheduled service directed move by move by telephone, two-way radio, or through designated supervisors.
2. Picks up and delivers bulk quantities of mail at postal installations, mailing concerns, railroad mail facilities and airports.
3. Ascertains the condition of the tractor-trailer prior to leaving and in returning to garage; reports all accident, mechanical defects noted, and mechanical failures in the course of the trip.
4. Makes decisions respecting changes in route in emergency; makes emergency decisions respecting loading mail or leaving it for later trip.
5. In addition, may prepare daily trip report; make minor repairs or adjustments to vehicle in emergencies; load and unload mail; perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
Applicants must have two-years of general driving experience with at least one-year full-time, or equivalent, of driving 7-ton trucks or buses of 16 passengers or over. A minimum of six months of the required total driving experience must be in a tractor-trailer.