TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR | Kansas City Missouri
United States Postal Service
External Publication for Job Posting 10355988
If this job requires qualification on an examination, the number of applicants who will be invited to take or retake the examination may be limited.
This job has an exam requirement. Currently, applicants for this posting who do not yet have an exam score are being invited to take the exam. Examining will continue until capacity has been reached.
Job Title:TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR
1700 CLEVELAND AVE
KANSAS CITY, MO 64121-9997
CONTACT INFORMATION: Elvis Bellamlik, email@example.com
Position Information Title: TRACTOR TRAILER OPERATOR
FLSA Designation: Non-Exempt
Occupation Code: 5703-0004
Non-Scheduled Days: VARIES
CDL REQUIRED: Applicants must have a valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) from the state in which they live. If applicants have an intrastate CDL, they must self-certify to their state that they operate or expect to operate in excepted interstate commerce, as required by 49 CFR part 383.71(b)(1)(ii). Each state has its own procedure for completing theself-certification process, so applicants should seek assistance from their Department of Motor Vehicles or their state’s equivalent, if they are unaware of how to do so.
Applicants must have a safe driving record, and at least two years of unsupervised experience driving passenger cars or larger vehicles and one year of full time unsupervised experience (or equivalent) driving a 7-ton or larger truck, tractor-trailer,or a 16-passenger or larger bus. The driving must have taken place in the U.S. or its possessions or territories or in U.S.military installations worldwide. Further, applicants must inform the Postal Service of all previous employment as the driver of a commercial vehicle for the past 10 years and complete a Driving Notification and Compliance Certificate. Applicants must be drug-free, which requires:
- A pre-employment drug screen and
- Information from previous employers on the positive alcohol or drug tests and refusal to be tested within the prior two years
***TTO positions require a Class A Commercial Drivers’ License**
SALARY RANGE: $22.26 - $29.77 per hour paid bi-weekly
FINANCE NUMBER: 284219
BENEFIT INFORMATION: This is a career position which offers excellent benefits. Newly hired employees are covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). Upon hire, employees are eligible to contribute into the Thrift SavingsPlan (TSP) which is similar to 401(k) plans. We also offer the option to enroll into the Federal Employees Health Benefits(FEHB) program as well as the Federal Employees Group Life Insurance (FEGLI). Dental, Vision and Long-Term CareInsurance Programs as well as Flexible Spending Accounts to cover eligible out-of-pocket health care and dependent care (day care) expenses are also available, as well as accrued vacation and sick leave.
Persons Eligible to Apply
All U.S. Citizens, lawful permanent resident aliens, citizens of American Samoa or other territory owing permanent allegianceto the United States. Applicants entitled to veterans’ preference and/or covered by the Veterans Employment OpportunityAct may apply for any posted position. Applicants must apply online at www.usps.com/careers to be considered for thisemployment opportunity. You must have a valid email address to apply as communication regarding employmentopportunities, examinations (when applicable), and background checks will be sent by email. Please add the following emaildomain addresses to your contact list to allow all correspondence to be received - @usps.gov; @jobtryout.net;@psionline.com; @geninfo.com; @uspis.gov.
EXAM: If an exam is required and you are invited to take the test, instructionsregarding the exam process will be sent to you via email. Please ensure you can receive email messages from our testvendor and follow instructions carefully so you can be considered for this employment opportunity. SCREENINGS: You mayreceive multiple requests for background checks in regards to this employment opportunity. Respond to all requests quicklyas we anticipate filling our vacancies quickly and nonresponses may result in disqualification for this opportunity.
The Inspection Service criminal background check is conducted using United States information resources only (e.g., FBIfingerprint check, state and county checks). A criminal background check involves a 5-year inquiry for any location wherethe individual has resided, worked or gone to school within the United States or its territories. As a result of this limitation,the criminal background checks of individuals who have not resided in the United States or its territories for the preceding5-years may not be considered complete. The Inspection Service may be able to process inquiries for U.S. Citizens only,but only if their time spent out of the country was spent as: a trailing spouse or dependent of someone working for the U.S.government (military or civilian), a missionary, a student attending school in a foreign country, a Peace Corps participant, oras an employee of a U.S.-based employer/company. If the Inspection Service is unable to perform a complete backgroundcheck because of residency outside the United States, such individuals will be ineligible for Postal employment.
Regularly operates a heavy duty tractor-trailer either in over-the-road service, city shuttle service, or trailer spottingoperations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Operates a tractor-trailer in conformity with time schedules and in accordance with instructions regarding the routeassigned; or operates a tractor-trailer in unscheduled service directed move by move by telephone, two-way radio or throughdesignated supervisors.
2. Picks up and delivers bulk quantities of mail at postal installations, mailing concerns, railroad mail facilities and airports.
3. Ascertains the condition of the tractor-trailer prior to leaving and in returning to garage; reports all accidents , mechanicaldefects noted, and mechanical failures in the course of the trip.
4. Makes decisions respecting changes in route in emergency; makes emergency decisions respecting loading mail orleaving it for later trip.
5. In addition, may prepare daily trip reports; make minor repairs or adjustments to vehicle in emergencies; load and unloadmail; perform other duties as assigned by a supervisor.
Supervisor, Transportation Operations, or other designated supervisor. The United States Postal Service has the following excellent and challenging employment opportunity for highly motivatedand innovative individuals. Successful candidates must demonstrate through a combination of education, training, andexperience the following requirements:
1. BARGAINING UNIT QUALIFICATION STANDARDS 5703B (5703-0004) TRACTOR-TRAILER OPERATOR DOCUMENTDATE: October 1, 2003
FUNCTION: Tractor-Trailer Operator: Regularly operates a heavy-duty tractor- trailer either in over-the-road service, city shuttle service,or trailer spotting operations.
DESCRIPTION OF WORK: See the Standard Position Description for the Occupation Code given above.
REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must have two-years of general driving experience with at least one-year full time, or equivalent, of driving 7-tontrucks or buses of 16 passengers or over. A minimum of six months of the required total driving experience must be in atractor-trailer.
Note: The required amount of experience will not in itself be accepted as proof of qualification. The applicants' record ofexperience and training must show the ability to perform the duties of the position.
EXAMINATION REQUIREMENTS: Applicants for these positions must complete an Assessment Questionnaire.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Applicants must be physically able to perform efficiently the duties of the position.
- At the time of appointment, applicants must have a valid commercial driver's license from the state in which they live with airbrakes certification for the types of vehicles used on the job; applicants must also demonstrate and maintain a safe driving record.
- Applicants selected under this qualification standard must successfully complete the required Vehicle Familiarization andSafe Operation training, including demonstration of the ability to safely drive a vehicle of the type used on the job.
- Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service's requirementto be drug free. Applicants must also be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m., Central Time, of the posting's closing date. Applicants claiming veterans'preference must attach a copy of member copy 4 (only) of Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form214) or other proof of eligibility if claiming 10-point veterans' preference. The United States Postal Service (USPS) is anequal opportunity employer. The USPS provides reasonable accommodation for any part of the application, interview, and/orselection process, please make your request to the examiner, selecting official or local manager of Human Resources. Thisrequest can also be made by someone on your behalf. Explain the nature of your limitations and the accommodationneeded. The decision on granting reasonable accommodation will be on a case-by-case basis.
SPECIAL NOTE: Current career Postal Service employees are ineligible to apply to this posting.